- 1 Best Bipod For AR15
- 1.1 1. UTG Tactical OP2 Bipod 8.3″-12.7″
- 1.2 2. UTG Shooter’s SWAT Bipod 6.2″-6.7″
- 1.3 3. Ohuhu Adjustable Bipod, 6″-9″
- 1.4 4. Harris Bipod for AR15
- 1.5 5. ArmsTAC Tactical Bipod
- 1.6 6. CVLIFE Rifle Bipod 9″ – 13″
- 1.7 7. Caldwell XLA Rifle Bipod
- 1.8 8. Ade Advanced Optics Rifle Bipod
- 1.9 9. AVAWO Rifle Bipod
- 1.10 10. TipTop Tactical Bipod
- 2 AR15 Bipod Buying Guide
- 3 5 Situations That An AR15 Bipod Is Most Needed
- 4 The 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions About AR15 Bipods?
- 5 Best Bipod For AR15 Comparison Chart
- 6 Wrap Up
The AR15 is the most popular rifle in the USA, and one of the most popular all over the globe. You can use this rifle for everything, from plinking and target practice to advanced tactical operations. Using a bipod while you shoot your rifle will help to stabilize it, dispersing part of the recoil and increasing your accuracy. Not even the best bipod for AR15 will make your aim 100% true all by itself, but did you know that a bipod can be used for hunting with great results? In the following article, we review the best selling bipods that can be used with the AR15 and we reveal their pros and cons. Some of the bipods are specially designed for the AR, while others are universal and work with different kind of railing systems. Is there a difference between them? Read more and find out.
Never owned a bipod before? No problem! Our comprehensive buying guide will explain which features are really important to look for when you’re shopping for a bipod, and how they help to improve your accuracy. You want to buy a bipod, but you’re not sure you’re going to use it because you don’t know how it helps? Relax, we have that covered as well. Further, in the article, we propose 5 different situations in which having a bipod can be a game changer. From tactical situations to plinking or airsoft, we explain how a bipod will help you, and why.
Best Bipod For AR15
1. UTG Tactical OP2 Bipod 8.3″-12.7″This bipod’s legs are made out of high-quality durable aluminum and the top platform is made out of stainless steel. The platform is designed to accept both swivel stud and Picatinny mounts. The arms are foldable and they have a spring tension control, a Posi-Lock wheel, and a button which retracts the arms quickly. The arms can be extended between 7.9” – 12.7”, raising the center platform to heights between 8.1” – 12.7”. There are two ways of extending the arms and locking them in place. The quick way is to pull the arms all the way out and engage the quick-release latch and snap it into place. When you want to move the bipod, you just have to use the quick-release button and the arms will snap back in the retracted position.
- Precision Positioning On Uneven Terrain – The second way to extend the arms takes longer, but it’s more precise. Once you choose the desired length of an arm, you twist a knob and it will stay in place. This allows the bipod to create a level platform on the uneven ground.
- Rubber Endings – The arms have rubber endings, so they should protect the arm and increase their stability.
- Lightweight Inner Legs – The inner legs are thinner, so they will bend slightly if you put a lot of weight on them.
2. UTG Shooter’s SWAT Bipod 6.2″-6.7″This durable bipod is constructed out of high-quality aluminum and has a low profile, making it perfect for various tactical applications. Both arms have rubberized endings, so they will keep their position even on smooth, slippery surfaces. The bipod has a dual mounting design and will allow both swivel studs and Picatinny mounts. The arms’ length is adjustable, and you can extend them from 6.2” to 6.7”. The bipod also features a position lock to prevent it from tipping over.
- Lightweight – The bipod weighs under one pound, so you’ll be able to take it anywhere with you without any problem. Because the bipod is so lightweight, you can take it with you even if you don’t plan to use it. You never know when you might need it
- Strong Construction – Even though it’s lightweight, the bipod seems strong and durable.
- Bad Quality Control – Some customers complained that their products had manufacturing issues. This is clearly a lack of quality control, and the manufacturer should remedy it.
3. Ohuhu Adjustable Bipod, 6″-9″This adjustable bipod is has a heavy-duty construction made out of metal and aluminum, and has a black adonized coating, making it perfect for various tactical applications in all sorts of terrains and environments. The bipod’s arms are adjustable and they can be extended to heights from 6 to 9 inches. The bipod’s platform can support both a Picatinny and a swivel stud mount. The arms feature a lockable thumb wheel for increased precision and finer adjustments. The bipod is small and reliable and you can take it with you when you go hunting to improve your accuracy, or just for fun when you’re practicing or plinking.
- Doesn’t Wiggle – Unlike some other bipods, this model doesn’t wiggle when you fire, keeping your aim true.
- Reliable – The bipod does exactly what you bought it for. It keeps your gun stable while you fire rounds.
- No Instructions – This bipod doesn’t come with instructions, so people with no previous experience might fumble a bit with the mount until they secure it.
4. Harris Bipod for AR15
This is one of the best-rated bipods available on the market. The rifle bipod has extendable arms that can be extended between 6 and 9 inches. The arms can be locked in increments placed one inch apart. The arms are spring loaded, so you will be able to deploy and retract them fast when needed. The bipod is very well built, and once you deploy it, it will keep your weapon stable no matter the surrounding environment. The bipod’s color will match perfectly with the one on your AR rifle, making the bipod less obvious.
- Low – While some people might not like the small height, it will improve your aim.
- Quick Deploy – This bipod’s arms rely on a spring for extension and retraction, so you will be able to set your gun and switch positions quickly.
- No Adapter – The bipod doesn’t come with an adapter for the AR rifle, but you will need one.
5. ArmsTAC Tactical BipodThis is a durable bipod constructed from strong aluminum. The bipod has spring powered extendable legs and a base specially designed to fit all the weapons compatible with a rail accessory system. The bipod has a patented position lock feature which prevents it from tipping over and a rubber cap at the end of each leg for increased stability even on the smoothest surfaces. No installation is required for deploying this bipod. The rubberized stand will protect your weapon from scratches, while you fix it in place using the thumb screws.
- Nice Finishes – This bipod has nice and smooth finishes, and its color will match that of your AR rifle.
- Easy To Use – The bipod is easy to use. You will be able to set it up and mount a weapon on it very fast.
- No Instructions – The bipod comes with no instructions, so people without experience of using bipods might struggle to set it up.
6. CVLIFE Rifle Bipod 9″ – 13″This bipod is made out of high-quality durable aluminum and even though it’s lightweight, it’s very sturdy and stable. The bipod’s legs are adjustable, and you can extend them at lengths between 9 and 13”. The kit comes with a sling adapter you will first have to attach to the Picatinny rails, and then attach it to the bipod. The platform on top is rubber padded, so you won’t risk scratching your rifle when you mount it. Both arms are notched, so you will be able to adjust their height quickly and accurately. The whole construction has an adonized matte finish, so it will match your rifle.
- Great Quality – All the components seem to be well built and durable, so you should be able to use this bipod for a long time.
- Attachments Included – The bipod’s kit comes with several different attachments, so you will be able to use it with different weapons as well.
- No Instructions – This bipod doesn’t come with instructions, but there is a video online which will help you with the installation.
7. Caldwell XLA Rifle BipodThe Caldwell XLA rifle bipod is a reliable model that’s easy to use and attach to your firearm. This model has a simple yet effective design that allows it to attach securely to almost any rifle that has a sling swivel stud.
This model is made out of durable aluminum and it’s lightweight, allowing you to take it with you on every hunting trip and target practice session at the local firing range. The bipod deploys quickly, and its legs spring out with a simple touch of a button.
- Notched Legs – The Caldwell XLA comes with notched legs, so setting it up will be quick and easy. The notched legs will allow you to adjust the unit’s height with ease, so you won’t have any problems setting up the bipod on uneven ground.
- Padded Base – This model comes with a padded base, so the bipod won’t scratch your rifle when you set up your gear.
- Picatinny Adapter Not Included – Even though this is a good bipod, it does not come with a Picatinny adapter, so you’ll have to buy one separately.
8. Ade Advanced Optics Rifle BipodThe Ade Advanced Optics is made out of hardened steel and strengthened aluminum alloys, so it’s safe to say that once you start using this model, you’ll be using it for a very long time.
This unit’s manufacturers went out of their way to make the bipod durable. The legs are strong and reinforced, the cradle is made out of heavy gauge steel, and the springs are thick and capable of handling a heavy duty.
Not only will the durability of the item allow you to use it for a long time, but it will also make the bipod withstand even the most powerful recoils. The unit’s legs can be adjusted between 13” – 23”, giving you enough clearance to use the extended mags when shooting from the prone position.
- Hinged Bases – This unit comes with hinged bases that have an adjustable tension which will eliminate any tremors you might experience when shooting.
- Picatinny Rail Adapter – This bipod comes with a Weaver and Picatinny adapter, so you will be able to use it without spending extra money.
- Does Not Swivel – This bipod does not swivel from side to side, so you will have to move the whole thing if you want to adjust your aim.
9. AVAWO Rifle BipodThe AVAWO rifle is constructed out of hardened steel and high-quality aluminum. This unit has a maximum height of 10 & 3/8”, but only weighs 10 oz. This model comes with a spring-loaded folding mechanism that’s easy to use and adjust. The legs are notched, so you will be able to set the bipod up with speed when needed, and you won’t have any problems when you want to use the bipod on uneven terrain. In fact, the pivot model used by this model will allow you to compensate for height differences of up to 20 degrees.
The bipod comes with a padded platform that will protect your rifle, and with rubber leg endings that will enhance the unit’s stability and balance.
- Cheap – This model comes at a cheap price, so it’s a perfect choice for those have a strict budget
- Durable – This bipod is very tough, and it will withstand everything you throw at it and more
- Springs Can Be Uneven – Some customers complained that the legs’ springs can sometimes be uneven. This can make the bipod slightly wobbly when you set it up.
10. TipTop Tactical BipodThe TipTop bipod is one of the highest-rated models currently available on the market. This unit is made out of lightweight but heavy-duty material specially designed to last for a very long time. The bipod comes with a quick lock attachment that’s very easy to use and that will shorten the time you spend attaching and detaching the rifle to the unit.
This model is fairly easy to set up, and the legs can be adjusted quickly. The bipod can make up for differences in the terrain’s height of up to 38 degrees, and it can swivel horizontally for 74 degrees.
- No Adapters Needed – This bipod comes with a good mounting mechanism that will allow you to mount the AR-15 and other Picatinny-compatible firearms without having to use adapters.
- Fast Retraction Mechanism – The bipod uses a fast retraction mechanism that will allow you to deploy and retract the legs in a timely manner.
- Not Cheap – Even though this is one of the best bipod models currently available on the market, it does come at a price. However, the unit’s functions and features make it worthy of the price.
AR15 Bipod Buying Guide
Buying a bipod for your AR15 might seem easy, but you still have to take several things into consideration. The following section will present several things and features you should take into account when shopping for a bipod.
- Type: When it comes to bipods, choosing a certain type will influence how fast you can set the bipod and mount the firearm, and how well you can adjust it to your liking.
- Spring Powered Arms – This type of bipod is very common and most manufacturers turn to springs when they develop their models. One of the advantages of choosing a spring powered bipod is that you will be able to set it up very fast. Most of them have notched arms, and the spring will allow you to extend the arms to various heights and lock them into a notched hole. This is a quick way to set up your gear and mount your firearm and will allow you to fold the bipod quickly as well. You can use this kind of bipod to change positions fast. A disadvantage of using this type of bipods is that you can’t really adjust the arms as you would like all the time. If you plan on setting up your bipod on an uneven terrain, you might have some difficulties until you find the right spot because the arm can only be set at certain increments.
- Twist Knob Control – This type of bipods don’t use springs for locking into position. Every time you choose to extend an arm, you take hold of it and pull until you reach the desired length, and then lock it in place by turning the knob. The major advantage of using this kind of bipod is that you’ll be able to set it exactly as you want in any kind of terrain and environment. If you’re on a rock and one of the arms needs to be shorter by 3/4 of an inch, no problem, just shorten it, turn the knob, and the arm will lock into place. The disadvantage of using this kind of bipod is that you will need more time to set it up, especially when you’re on the uneven ground.
- Spring/Twist Knob Combination – This type of bipod benefits from the best of both worlds. You can either use the springs for a faster set up on an even surface, or the knobs for a slower but more precise set up on an uneven surface. The fact that you can use this type of bipods in more than one way makes them more versatile than their counterparts. In the long run, having this kind of bipod will be an advantage because you’ll be able to use it reliably in more scenarios, increasing its value. If you’re looking for the best AR15 bipod, you should choose one of these ones.
- Height: Different bipod models will raise your firearm at different heights. Knowing which height is right for you is important when you’re shopping for an AR15 bipod.
- 6 – 9” – This is the lowest height you’ll find for bipods designed for an AR. The low bipod is meant to increase your accuracy when you’re using it from the prone shooting stance. However, if you don’t hold a perfect shooting stance when you lock in the lowest position, your 30-round magazine will touch the ground, making the bipod useless.
- 9 – 13” – This is the most popular height range for AR bipods. You can use this kind of bipod when you’re shooting from the supported prone position, but you can also use it with great results when you position it on walls, roofs, car hoods, or other supports and shoot from a crouching stance.
- Accessories: Whenever you buy a bipod, it can either come alone or as part of a kit with more components.
- No Accessories – Some manufacturers won’t offer you more accessories, so there will be nothing else in the box beside the bipod. This can be a disadvantage, especially if the bipod is a universal one, not specially designed for an AR15. If this is the case, you will have to buy a separate adapter for your rifle, and the overall price of the bipod will increase.
- With Accessories – When your bipod is delivered with accessories, not only will you be able to use it for shooting the minute you take it out of the box, but you will also be able to use it with different rifle models.
Buying a bipod with several accessories is a good choice because even if you only use the AR15 now, you might buy other rifles in the future and you might want to use them with the same bipod. Having more accessories will allow you to do so without supplemental expenses.
5 Situations That An AR15 Bipod Is Most Needed
A bipod can come in handy in more than one situation, but these 5 made it to the top of the list.
- Tactical Situation: When you’re engaged in a tactical situation, it’s crucial for your aim to be accurate, especially if the scene takes place in an area filled with civilians, like a city or a town. An AR15 rifle is by itself very accurate, but when you mount it on a high-quality bipod and keep it steady, that accuracy increases. Combining a sturdy bipod with a red dot, a laser, a holographic sight, or with a scope will make the rifle more accurate than you would think. This kind of accuracy can represent the difference between a long and agonizing conflict and a short and decisive one, even if there are civilians involved.
- Hunting: A bipod is more helpful for hunting than you would think. It’s true that you won’t be able to use a bipod when you’re stalking your game, but there are a lot of situations when a good AR15 bipod can make your life easier.
- Blind Hunting – Also called stand hunting, this is the hunting method in which the hunter stays in a single spot, usually concealed or elevated, and waits for the animals to come to him. The animals can be baited by the hunter with the use of food, scent, decoys, or lures. No matter how good you bait a certain spot, blind hunting can involve waiting for the animals to show for several hours. Holding your rifle for several hours can be tiresome, and you can always rest it against a wall or a tree. But why should you risk missing out on an opportunity? The best thing you can do is to use a bipod and have your firearm pointing at the baited spot at all times, even if you’re not waiting for a shooting stance.
- Flushing or Beating – These hunting techniques involve scaring animals out of an area or a concealed zone. Either some humans beating the ground with sticks or using different sound instruments can make the sound, or hunting dogs can be used to flush the game towards the shooter. Using a bipod is an advantage in this situation because it will allow you to acquire your target faster and aim better. For better results, you might even use a bipod and a reflex sight or a scope at the same time.
- Airsoft Competitions: Airsoft competitions have gained popularity in the last few years, and the level of the competitions increased dramatically in the last decade. Modern airsoft competitors need the best gear if they want to perform at their best. Using a bipod in an airsoft competition can be an advantage, as you can use it to shoot at your opponents from a concealed position. Since an AR15 airsoft replica is more silent than regular AR, shooting from a concealed position can lead to your team’s victory sooner than expected.
- Plinking / Target Practice: If you buy a bipod, you can’t just take it straight into a tactical situation and use it there for the first time. It’s better to gain some experience setting it up and mounting your AR on top of it before you do so. What better way of testing your new equipment than using it for plinking or target practice? Shooting tens or even hundreds of rounds with the rifle while it’s mounted on the bipod will allow you to learn all the little variations in target acquiring and aiming that one bipod can have for another. This will increase your accuracy in a tactical situation or in a hunting expedition.
The 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions About AR15 Bipods?
There are a lot of questions online about AR15 bipods. The following section is will address the most common of them.
- Will The Bipod Fit My Airsoft AR15 Replica?
The latest AR15 airsoft replicas are so similar to the real-life rifle that even an experienced soldier or marine who has trained and fought with the real one might confuse them. The similarities don’t end just with the appearance. They can also use the same accessories, so a bipod designed for the real AR15 will work with the replica as well.
- Can I Connect A Sling To The Bipod?
AR15 bipods are usually not that large, so you can carry them in your backpack. Some of them will even fit in your pants’ cargo pockets, even though you won’t be able to close the pocket on them. However, you can use a sling for most of the models, but you will need to remove it every time you want to use the bipod most of the times.
- How Does The Bipod Attach To My AR15 Rifle?
There is more than one way to mount an AR on a bipod, and the mounting system is strictly dependent on the bipod.
- Picatinny Rail Compatible – Some bipods are specially designed to be used with the AR, so their mounting platform is compatible to connect directly to the rifle. Just slide the rifle’s rail in the bipod platform, tighten the holding screw, and you’re ready to go.
- Universal Design – If your bipod is a universal model, you might need an adapter for your AR. The first step is to attach the adapter to the bipod’s platform, and then mount the rifle on top of it.
- Will I Need Extra Parts To Mount My AR15?
This is also dependent on the type of bipod you’re using. If you have a bipod specially designed to go with the AR, you won’t need extra components to mount the rifle. If you have a universal bipod, you might need an adapter to mount your rifle. You should be able to find more information by contacting customer support.
- Does The Bipod Allow Me To Swivel?
This depends on the model you use. Some bipods allow a limited swivel, while others don’t. If you want to use the bipod in tactical situations, for hunting, or for airsoft competitions, it might be better if you picked a model which will allow you to swivel. Swiveling can make the difference between lifting the gun at certain angles or not.
- Will My 30-round Magazine Fit In A Prone Shooting Stance?
It depends on how high your bipod rises. If it rises over 7 – 8 inches, it will allow you to shoot using the 30-round magazine.
- Can I Use The Bipod In The Rain/Snow?
Most bipods are entirely made out of aluminum. The ones using other materials contain either stainless steel or powder coated metals. Aluminum and stainless steel don’t rust, and the powder coating protects the other materials, so you’ll be able to use the bipod in rain or snow.
- How Far Are The Pre-Drilled Increments Set Apart?
Most manufacturers place the increments half an inch apart. This might not seem much, but it will make a lot of difference when you’re shooting at long-range targets.
- Is The Bipod Foldable?
Most AR bipods are foldable and lightweight.
- Can It Withstand The Recoil?
If you’re wondering if the bipod’s construction will last, you don’t need to worry. Even if they are lightweight and pliable, bipods are specially designed to be used with rifles, so they will perform well. However, if you don’t position the bipod right, it might fall from the recoil.
Best Bipod For AR15 Comparison Chart
|UTG Tactical OP Bipod, Rubber Feet||$$$||7.7 x 6.3 x 3.5 inches||1 pounds||Durable aluminum construction and steel top platform|
|UTG Shooter's SWAT Bipod, Rubber Feet||$$||7.1 x 3.2 x 2.2 inches||13.9 ounces||High Tech Durable Aluminum Construction|
|Ohuhu OH-B Adjustable Handy Spring Return Sniper Hunting Tactical Rifle Bipod||$||7.7 x 3.5 x 2.6 inches||1 pounds||Heavy-duty metal & aluminum construction|
|Harris Engineering 1A2-BRM Solid Base||$$$$||10.5 x 4.5 x 1.5 inches||10.4 ounces||Solid Base|
|ARMSTAC® Tactical Bipod OP-I Aluminium Foldable Adjustable Height fits Picatinny Rail||$$||11 x 9 inches||10.4 ounces||Strong & Durable aluminum construction|
|CVLIFE 9-13 Inches Rifle Bipod with Solid Sling Adapter Base||$||9 x 13 inches||under 0.78lb||Durable, light-weight aluminum|
|Caldwell XLA Rifle Bipod||$$$||Has 4 Different Options||8.8 ounces||Lightweight aluminum|
|Ade Advanced Optics Rifle Bipod||$$$||13-23"||13-Ounces||Hardened steel and 7075 T7 alloys|
|AVAWO Rifle Bipod||$||6-9"||10ozs||Hardened steel, aluminum|
|TipTop Tactical Bipod||$$$$$||7" - 10.5"||18 ounces||Stable, Light Weight, Sling-attached design|
Bipods are foldable and lightweight, so you’ll be able to take them with you whenever you go out shooting, whether you go to the shooting range or hunting. Using a bipod not only will increase your accuracy, but it will help you zero in your scope or sight, and it can also help with practicing different shooting stances. Using a bipod and a scope with your AR15 at the same time will allow you to shoot accurately over distances you never did before. Using one with a red dot or reflex sight will make you group your shots at the range better than ever before. Even though they don’t look like much and they’re really small and lightweight, bipods are designed to withstand recoils and harsh conditions. They’re usually made from durable aluminum and you’ll be able to use all year round. Not only will a bipod help you group shots closely at the range, but it will also help you acquire targets and aim better when you’re out hunting with your friends. You like hunting using a large magnification scope? No problem, the bipod will stabilize your rifle so you can accurately compensate for the bullet drop. You like waiting for your targets in a concealed or high position? The bipod will allow you to rest your hands while keeping the rifle pointed in the right direction.
However, not even the best bipod for AR15 will transform you from a regular shooter in a Navy Seal class sniper. You will need a lot of shooting practice and other accessories as well. Bipods work well when you use them together with scopes and reflex sights, so make sure you check our other articles to find out more about the available accessories for your AR15 and combine them to get the best results. If you’re going to use a bipod for your AR15, don’t rely on its stock iron sights.